Monday, June 4, 2007

Mas

Okay, still here in Lisboa. But with more tired legs and pinker. I'm still excited! PORTUGAL. It's sucha pretty name. Lisbon is nice. It is different from Barcelona. Here are some of the ways how.
1. It is not flat. It has, apparently, seven hills, each of which is a neighborhood. We are in Santa Catarina.
2. It also is a bit more run down. It reminds me of Chile, but older.

Also, I know I said before that Spain is very rocky. The landscape, all the houses, the streets...but Lisbon is even more so. Everything here is rock. The streets are all paved with these small chunks of white and black rock set on top of the sand or dirt or whatever, or bigger black rocks, but they are definitely ROCKS, not tiles or paving stones like in barcelona. And they are set into all different kinds of patterns. All the building too are what i would call colonial style. They are big cubes covered in tiles. Yes, many of the buildings are tiled. Mostly in red or blue patterns. And then there are a couple huge castels and churches made of slabs of stone rising above everything. Not very many trees, not even in the Plazas, but a very nice place. Last night I went to see some Fado, the Portugese jazz or gitano type singing, kind of, and I was very impressed. I want to see more. Also the moon was HUGE and really orange. I was sitting outside on my balcony looking at the moon and listening to The Girl From Ipanema, which somebody across the street was playing, and people walking by speaking portuguese. It was warm but with a cool breeze and rustling palm trees. Not to make anybody else jealous but it is really quite quite nice here.

3 comments:

Beck Nelson said...

Listen. Go to the Lisbon Alive Festival on the 9th and see The Go! Team for me. And dance! It would be amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lT2Tq2rC9I

Kira Nelson said...

I know, wouldn't it be cool? I would also actually like to maybe see white stripes. If only it didn't cost 90 dollars. for the day. i saw the coolest animals! they are called maras. and i think you might be a coypu.

Unknown said...

I love your words Kira. I think I can actually see it, feel it, hear it, smell it - Lisbon. Think it sounds better there than here - dismal, gray, drissly, cold.