Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Madrid: Not a Complete Waste of Time

Okay, we´re going to start this entry by noting that it is VERY obnoxious when people sit next to you in computer areas and talk for hours on the online phone in a different language. For future reference. Especially when you only stop talking in order to blow your nose into your hand.
Haha! I saw the grossest thing in Súria, some guy was sitting on his front step with...well, actually this is not appropriate. I won´t add it here.

So anyway, I am in the weirdest albergue ever. It is full of children. It is next to a school, in the same building actually. And it is somewhat sinister with long black enclosed hallways and big numbers over the doors and piped in music, like Britany Spears and Natalie Imbrulia.
But guess what I saw today! Oh lord, it was crazy, it was so crazy! Yo flipé. Look, I saw THIS!
No, not that! I saw that weeks ago. Although I think that it would make a really good pet. A dograbbit! No, I saw THIS!

But the REAL THING. It was so beautiful. Guess what else I saw! The REAL Garden of Earthly Delights! It´s HUGE. There aren´t even pictures online that do them justice, though. You all have to go get a book and look at them to live vicariously with me. It was VERY exciting to just walk into a room and see it there. I also saw Las Meninas, by Velazquez, and a bunch of Rubens, which I don´t care for as much, and Memling! I saw Memling!
I also saw the surliest museum staff ever, truth be told. You would think they would be happy to be working there. Thanks to them what I didn´t see was Goya´s Third of May, so I think I may stay here an extra day and go tomorrow.
TIME IS RUNNING OUT!
Today I also went to a bar after the museum, well a café, and I got a glass of white wine, which came with a tapas of smoked salmon, and I felt very cosmopolitan. I am turning into a lush, it seems like I have wine every night here.

3 comments:

tbudd said...

I don't think you should come home, even though I miss you. But it is much nicer there it seems. And now I am so worried about what we will do with Ana and Elena and everyone -- they can't just walk around and see interesting people who will be so nice and hmmm. Maybe it will seem that way for them here . . . ?
Maybe you should be a travel writer, like all those people who talk on NPR, who just go to live in other countries and write witty, intriguing, puzzling things that reveal the beauty and poop of wherever they are. You could do this! Do it!

tbudd said...

your dad and grampa have much to say but went to bed. they send you thoughts telepathically, so be receptive!

Beck Nelson said...

Wine is gross, but rubens are good, so I'm glad you had some of those.