Sunday, November 18, 2007

Qué Divertido! or Watch out! Action!



So the night before that I was out with my exchange partner, Luis, and we went walking by ol' Santo Domingo and saw a group of Mariachis who he suggested we follow. We did so, following them straight to the Guadalajara en Oaxaca sister city exibition. So we watched the dancing and then the Mariachi group got up and hooboy they were good. Knocked the ol' socks off. Anyway, so I drew them a little bit and chatted with Luis about his favorite actors (Nicolas Cage, Stephen Segal, somebody else and Mel Gibson. He wishes he were more like Mel Gibson. He especially likes the Arma Mortal movies {read lethal weapon}. I felt bad having to break it to him that Mel Gibson is a religious maniac with fourteen kids. Luis was sorry about that religion, but not the kids. He was impressed that they were all with the same wife though. He said if he were rich like Mel Gibson he would have ten boys). Anyway, so afterwards I was admiring the tissue paper banners draped around and he said he wished he could get some for me and then we said goodbye. He is a super nice guy and it's too bad we're not going to meet anymore. But just as he was leaving all the Mariachis came by! And he was like "Where is your camera? I could have taken your picture with them!" and then he was like (because he knew Joel had the camera) "When you get home you have to hit Joel like this! {slaps rolled newspaper against his palm} And when he says, "Ow, why?" you have to say "Cállate!" and hit him some more." He is really set on me taking pictures of everything.
Anyway he left and I went over and talked to all the Mariachis for awhile in front of the roasted corn stand. It was great! I showed them my drawings and got some guys email and learned all their names.
Then after that I went back and was looking at the flags and some guy came up and asked if I wanted them and I said, "You bet your sweet bippy I do," and he said, "Okay then," and then he helped me take them down and asked my name and gave me a card for his restaurant in Guadalajara that says "Kira %100 discount". So what about that, huh?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

ooo lucky girl you are. you should post some of your drawings...errr somehow. Oooo i know, take a digital photo of some of your favorites and then post that!!

k.
a