Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Fast Forward Traveling


Okay, are we all ready? Now that I'm at a place where pictures will actually load I will give you all quick tour through what we have been doing. This was beautiful hot sticky salty and kind of weird that we were there. I mean, look at the place. It was just this big tropical beach right by a jungle and tiki houses with thatched rooves all up the cliff. And all we did was swim and drink lemonade.
This is where we would drink lemonade. Oh, and eat guacamole. So anyway, that was crazy and definitely enjoyable (except the lack of cheap dinner options). We also spent a lot of time fixing mosquito netting. And sitting in front of fans.
Then we went to Puerto Escondidio which looked a lot more like this:

This was our pool. We stayed in a nice hotel. Well, once the girl there walked me to an atm so I could take out money because they wouldn't take the five hundred I had because it was missing a tiny piece of it's corner we stayed there. It was ridiculous. But then I liked her. We talked about the surf championship that had just ended and how someone from Hawaii won.
It was much more crowded, had huge blow up Corona bottles everywhere and music and families and tourists. My favorite part was all the families, well, the ladies and kids, who would just sit, legs out in front of them, in the surf. It's not a good beach for swimming so it makes sense but I just liked it. It was like they weren't even in the water at all.

THIS is the bird that we saw in both those places. I was proud because I actually guessed what it was without knowing anything about it. It's a frigate bird! Cool huh? They are HUGE and look like real big pterydactyls flying around with forked swallow tails. Except I never saw their necks blown up like this. I mostly saw females fishing which had white necks. Anyway.
Then we went to Acapulco which I know sounds all glam and fab and such but really was not that impressive. It seemed pretty run down to me. The zocalo, which is norally the heart of a town, looked like a circus sideshow with neon and christmas lights strung up everywhere and the beach was covered with fish bones and bottle caps and the water was full of plastic bags.
The definitely cool parts were this sign: Which basically says a lot about what I thought about Acapulco. Maybe used to be cool, but now run down and enveloped in WalMarts and BaskingRobbins. Also I loved our hotel. I was the greatest! The whole thing looked like my grandparent's house in Spain.
This was our key. Oh, there was also some great food.
And here was the decor. Anyway, then we left on the super fanciest bus in the world and came all the way back HERE, to Mexico City and are staying in a haunted hotel.

6 comments:

Tamara said...

it's snowing here and we have christmas lights up! How different is that than what/where you are?!

What are your plans now that you are in MC again? It does sound like a totally different trip -- which do you prefer, the staying and living and doing local things or the traveling part? I was surprised you went to Acapulco (how do you spell that name?, you'll have to explain that one to me.

so - stay alert! no more sunburns! no relaxing your vigilance! you beach bums you . . .

Betsy said...

Great pictures Kira. Acapulco used to be interesting back in the 70's when I was traveling in Mexico. I can't wait to see your pictures, see both you and Joel and talk about your experiences in Mexico. We'll need to plan something over the holidays or if that doesn't work out - in January. Maybe at Dave's. Love Betsy

Kira Nelson said...

I know. We'll have to schedule some time in January to all get together.

Tamara said...

HAUNTED !!!!!?????BY WHAT !!?THE SCREAM OF A GIRL ON A SUMMERS EVE? THE FLUTTERING OF A BATS WINGS ? A CAT ? FOOTSTEPS IN THE HALL? OR JUST THE STEADY DRIPPING OF THE FAUCET.....SAY JOHNNY..WANT TO TAKE A DARE ?.....YOU ARE SEEING SUCH COOL STUFF. THESE TOWNS LOOK GREAT. THANKSGIVING? OK! HOW FUN WOULD THAT BE ? THAT IS SOME RIGHTEOUS LETTERING ON THAT SIGN. WHAT A TOWN THAT MUST HAVE BEEN. NOTHING WAS MORE GLAM THAN ACAPULCO. AND YOU HAVE SEEN IT ! SO ANYWAY, HAUNTED BY WHAT ?

Kira Nelson said...

HAUNTED BY HEDGE ANIMALS! and bums. No, the hotel was great! all the hallways were crooked and with big dark curtains. and right outside was the coolest little park ever with all these hedge animals that just sort of rose up out of the hedges in random places.
But the fountain in the middle was the hot spot of the area. Everybody came to get buckets of water out of it to wash their cars or water their flowers. One morning a guy was washing his clothes in it. Another morning three guys were shaving and washing their hair in it. even the gardener used it to soak cardboard in. although i haven't figured out why yet....

Kira Nelson said...

There were definitely red lights all over. Perhaps they were red security lanterns left burning... But I wasn't afraid. I just laughed to myself and thought about the new penknife i was about to win...