Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Odesa again

Well here we are. I arrived and am now looking for an apartment. It was great flying in, I have never seen a landscape like this before. It was all white. Not mountains that have white on top and then valleys, all white and then squares of brown. I couldn't figure out for the longest time what the squares of brown were because it was all flat. Why were these areas warmer than other areas? And it wasn't where the houses were either, those were white squares on white. So no warming due to people's bodies/cars/houses. Why would they heat these random pieces of land? Finally I realized they were trees sticking up out of the snow. Which then makes you think about the way we leave forests, just lines, connecting up irregular polygons. But makes you a little afraid, seeing so much white.
Odesa is, besides being the place where all your biggest baby dreams come true, a sea port and flying in we passed what I think was the Dniester river which was all frozen over too, except right before emptying into the sea. Anyway to cut to the chase last night it was about -20 degrees fahrenheit. Today it was also cold but bundled up and walking in the sun it was not bad at all.
Anyway hopefully the housing issue will be taken care of soon and in the meantime I will try to keep busy writing, drawing, taking pictures etc. Tomorrow I will get to see a library, a secret I could not unlock last time because I was yelled out.
Updates as events occur,
signing out,
Me

No comments: