Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I am really tired.

And in Warsaw, which is another beautiful city. This one is a real city with a Marriott and a big Samsung sign on the side of a building etc. It is, however 5.26 and I'm already awake. There is also a phone ringing somewhere in this hostel and has been for roughly the last ten minutes. This is both confusing and unfortunate. I was having those half awake hallucinations that occur when you know you have to do something. First I imagined turning on my cell phone and seeing that it was 9.50 (basically guaranteeing a missed flight) and then I heard someone across the dorm telling me, "Kira, I think some guy came in and was trying to tell you something. He was using a clicker." In retrospect this makes no sense, but since I requested a wakeup I interpreted it as relating. So I finally gave into my head's voices and got up to really check the time. Lol, дерьмо, the phone ringing mystery turns out to be my cell phone alarm in my pocket. This is how conscious I am.

Here are a few other examples of Warsaw ups and downs that have happened in the last 11 hours:
1. My debit card is frozen again (although to be fair this is like blaming Obama for the economic crisis. Really it is Ukraine's fault) BUT I found an extra five euro I had squirreled.
2. I was walking for forever trying to find this hostel and I was SO tired BUT I found a cool art exhibit along the way and the lady gave me new directions.
3. I had to ask a billion other people directions too BUT they all spoke very nice english and were really friendly.
4. The hostel girl looked up a great restaurant with cheap vegetarian peroghi that looked really nice BUT when I finally walked the mile there it was closed so I had to eat some crap falafel BUT I also saw the most beautiful street in Warsaw AND found a really cute cafe w/ some kind of hot pudding they passed off as hot chocolate and a marzipan croissant.

So all in all a place I would really love to come back to. Lots of setbacks but they always seem to lead to something good, which is what one would like to say about life, right? Rambling, rambling. Maybe I will try to go back to bed...

Two last things:
a. Maybe the coolest thing about Warsaw is that they have these stone benches with maps engraved on them and a little talky bit about "Here is where Chopin looked for the last time at his front door," etc but THEN in the corner there is a button you can press and the bench plays music! AND there are these strange bar code squares that you can apparently SCAN WITH YOUR PHONE to get the music as a ringtone or something.

b. So, taking stock of my financial sitch here is where we are. I have 20 euro that I found in my estuche that made 80 zloty or whatever they call it here. 32 was the night, (that sounds like a mystery novel title), 8 was the falafel, 17 was the hot chocolate and croissant, 5 was the juice. So I have enough to get to the airport and maybe even get some breakfast. I also found an extra 5 euro in a jacket which means that, and this is exciting, NOT ONLY did I use it as key deposit but I now have enough to take the train from Manresa to Barcelona, or vice versa I mean, when I arrive back in Spain, which is very exciting. Or I think I do. Wait. I have enough to take it from Arc de Triomf or Plaza Catalunya to Manresa, but how much was it to get from the airport? Maybe I can rechange a few of these zloty. CRAP.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

You are such an intrepid adventurer! I admire your perspective greatly.
hugs to you ....

Unknown said...

Kira - You are so brave! I really believe you could put together a collection of your travel essays that would certainly be published as a book. Really!