Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Excerpt


"...I haven't been doing too badly either, except i cannot, for the life of me, seem to get out of bed before 11 o'clock, a trend that has turned disturbing. But at least i went and bought some food today. Food here is cheapish, even if everything else is expensive. I got an 8 pack of sugar yogurt for 97 cents! which in dollars is like eight dollars."

Continuing that excerpt I also got integral bread (wheat/seed bread), jam, gross pina juice, goji berries, dates, cranberries (expensive) pressecs (peaches in catalan), goat cheese, tomaquets, oh I don't know. All number of things I guess. But the yogurt and muesfly are the most exciting. Two big bags of groceries: 17 euro. Five tubes of paint: 20 euro. We are hoping both come in handy.

I am in Barcelona now after a week of hanging out in Suria, mostly working, doing a little bit of wandering around. Yesterday I got here and met Carlos, one of the flatmates, and we talked about his views on anarchism (which he doesn't even like to call himself because so many people, those who identify as anarchists and those who don't, misunderstand it. He doesn't think the world as it is is ready for it, but it's something you have to have inside you, more of a spiritual thing. It's a utopia that you can work towards even if it will never be reality. It was a very balanced and logical look at anarchism I think.) and then saw Esther again. Que alegria! She told me about the "tupersex" party they had recently (as she explained to me the name comes from tuper (toop-air), like "tuperware", and sex, like "sex".) Her mom heard that she went to one and wanted Esther to throw one for her, which consists of some guy who comes to your house and spreads out a selection of sex toys. So it was Esther, my aunt, my mom, my sister, my little cousin- Hilarious! I wish I could have seen it! But, unfortunately, the credit card machine didn't work, so nobody could buy all that they wanted. Esther's mom, for example, will have to keep going without a dildo. But they all pooled their money so Esther could buy a fancy german vibrator.


Also exciting! Cristina, my older Spanish sister, and her boyfriend of since 11 years old, just bought an apartment/piso/flat, whatever you want to call it. It's really nice: 3 balconies, two floors, huge closets, a guest room and big kitchen and little office. We went to a huge home store the other day to pick out rugs and sinks and temperature control whatsits and all that other stuff that ceases to be interesting to anybody except those who are actually spending the money after about an hour, but always lasts for at least three (up to six, thanks very much Jade, I may never enjoy Ikea again).
The real hangup was paint, of course. What do you think? For the light wall we were trying to decide between light beige, natural beige, light ochre or romantic beige. But don't forget! It has to go well with the couch, which nobody can remember exactly which shade of beige it is, and the dark wall which...well what do you think? I think between the profound brown and the "astracan" brown, which is more grey and less chocolate. Now let's make a final decision and find out they are out of one of the colors for another week. That's integral.

ANYway. I should get back to work. I recommend reading Joel's blog, anybody who maybe reading this, because, although limited in content, it's hilarious and gives a counterpoint view of another spanish speaking nation.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

Did you construct this tissue-ous word in the woods? What's the scoop? I like it. And it looks sunny there.
I wonder if Esther will throw a toopersex party for me when I'm there?!

Kira Nelson said...

i bet she would if you asked her. do you want one? also yes, i made the words out of toilet paper. it is an attempt to learn new words. this means "that's terribe" in russian according to beck