Thursday, November 5, 2009

Empezamos...




Let's start with some things I don't like.
Maybe just one thing.
Maybe...this thing.

This is on the sign of an art supply store. If you had an ART supply store, is this what you would want to advertise? Two feet tall? Is this really the quality you want people to think of when they think of your store? This is quite possibly THE WORST drawing I have ever seen. There are no redeeming qualitites to thi
s drawing. And the fact that it was incorporated into plastic that is going to last for decades strikes me as almost unbearably tragic. I also hate this store.

Look at this, I was going to move on, but I can't. Bad technique aside, what the hell is this drawing of? A dismembered torso, still bleeding from one arm, chained up in an intertube? All I can say is, and pardon my french, WTF???

But moving right along. This is what I am doing most of these days. Sitting in my awesome Ikea-furnished room doing work in English. But not today! Today I went out and looked at stores! And talked with old people! One very nice man on the bus who was practicing english, and one semi creepy old man who gave me his number and said I should come see him play the blues next sunday. He plays harmonica.
Oh! Yeah! I forgot that yesterday I got to talk with a bunch of cops! It was cool. I was jogging and saw these two ladies running after a dude on a bike yelling "Ladron!" in an accent, maybe french, maybe german, hard to tell in spanish. Anyway, I followed a little ways, I talked with them a little bit, then I continued jogging and some guy sitting there was like "What happened?" and I told him. He becomes important in this story, because he follows the guy down onto the beach and sees where he goes and then we decide to go back to the restaurant and find the ladies and tell them where he is, and maybe call the police. Because they were trying (to call the police) but nobody knew the number. On the way back to the restaurant I found out his name was Ali, he works in a cement factory and that he is looking for a girlfriend and has a big house all to himself. I thought about it for a few seconds but then I thought maybe not. I haven't even met his family from Pakistan yet.
Anyway then we get to the restaurant and I basically just ask where the ladies are but end up waiting around while they call the police and I'm supposed to give evidence. I was like, "Doooods, I'm just jogging, you know? I didn't really plan on sending anybody to prison or getting married, if it comes to that. And they didn't even steal my bag, you know? In fact I don't even know what happened." But they didn't listen to me. And then an old car pulls up and like seven plain clothes mossos d'escuadra (catalan police) get out, clown car style, and they are all very good looking people. And I get to talk to them.
And they say they can't do anything without the affected ladies and I say I totally understand and flirt gently with un tipo guapo and we all go our separate ways. But then there arrive two policias more (national police) and we go through the whole ringmarole again. But they were also very nice and the whole thing was very exciting, getting to talk with two kinds of police! Then esquive Ali, told him I really didn't need a cell phone, and returned home to go to bed at 2 again. I forgot how late everybody goes to bed normally here!

Anyway, then today I went windowshopping and found a chinese grocery store and I felt like the only non-chinese person who had ever entered there. But I got bamboo shoot crackers! So exciting! I am slightly obssessed with bamboo shoot imagery.


No tengo ni idea d k me hablas.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

I think we'll look for the traditional yet modern sweet potato for thanksgiving! And 2 near-proposals of marriage in one day -- hmm, keep on skating, lovely one!

Joel said...

maybe next time if you don´t want to get involved you should just start running faster when someone yells "Thief!"